Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Chuckle Cheese


It all started with a casual remark made about my son's comment on the last major blog. He said, "Pretty clever, Dad." My wife remarked that "It must be a male thing." I parried by claiming that it has been scientifically proven that men have a better sense of humor than women. I nearly always resort to the proof of science when my beliefs are attacked.

But seriously, who are the punny ones in your family? The men, right? Who does the teasing? Who plays the practical jokes? Who laughs loudest and longest? Who receives great joy from tickling others? See, that is also what the scientists who did the proving observed.

Even one of my best female friends, who attended the class reunion asked, "Where did THAT (blog) come from?" Women just don't get it. It's been proven. Scientifically. A casual glance at my wife would note that she appears to have eye muscles on steroids... from rolling her lovely orbs. Listening to my jokes all of these years has never marred her skin with laugh lines.

All of this is a silly male approach to a very serious subject. If you are deeply depressed, it's extremely difficult to laugh. In fact, unaccountable tears are a key indicator that someone is suffering from depression. Therefore, perhaps laughter should be intentionally added to your medical regimen.

A casual review of web articles will demonstrate that laughter is thought to be a medical adjunct to the treatment of cancer, diabetes, chronic pain, back problems, stroke, heartburn, stress and even bad attitudes among prison inmates. Laughter is a form of medical treatment heartily recommended by the International Association of Scientific Proofers. As we might expect. Check it out, read the web.

As a man who has suffered from chronic depression and Bipolar Disorder for over 40 years, I can state unequivocally that laughter has helped keep me sane. Of course, there are some people who have their doubts. In fact, my wife stated that you would have to be "crazy" to write something like the blog "Old Acquaintances (problem thinker)." There is a genetic male predisposition toward humor in my family. People have often said, "You have your father's laugh." When my sons and I get together, we become almost uncontrollably silly. I fully expect my grandson to carry on the paternal mark of humor. The females in our family, though, just don't "get it."

On the web are many lists of the top 100 funniest films and funniest comedians. Some I agree with and some I don't. Unfortunately, many that are on the lists are full of vulgarity. Following are some of my personal favorites (inclusion does not mean that I approve of everything).

All of the Abbott and Costello movies, Laurel and Hardy, Keystone Cops, Spanky and Our Gang, Johnny Depp as Captain Jack, Jerry Louis, Bing Crosby, Bob Hope, Shrek, Bill Cosby, Groucho Marx, Milton Berle, Steve Martin, Lucille Ball, Mrs. Doubtfire, Bill Murray, The Office, Billy Crystal, Don Knotts, Seinfeld, Tim Allen, Peter Sellers, Ghostbusters, Harvey Korman, Tom Hanks, Sandra Bullock, Hugh Grant, Daddy Day Camp (Eddie Murphy), When Harry Met Sally, Father of the Bride, and many others too numerous to mention.

While thinking about these, I've been inspired to start creating a "laugh library," made up of videos, books and recordings. On those days when I'm feeling really, really down, I can retreat to my laugh library for some relief. Come and join me. Even though many of my blogs are depressing (about depression), I really am a man who loves to laugh, be silly, goofy, wacky, punny, witty, facetious, amusing and humorous. It's been scientifically proven.


"There is a time to weep, and a time to laugh (Ecclesiastes 3:5)."

For those of you who have been disappointed by the lighthearted mood of my last two blogs, take comfort in the news that my next topic will be suicide.

*********************************************************************************
Please excuse the strange appearance of my blog structure. I'm pleading with Google to get it fixed.
*********************************************************************************

["I'm so low, I could do a ten minute free-fall off the edge of a dime."]

1 comment:

Donna G said...

OK, I thought it was hilarious....and I am a girl (although my boss acuses me of thinking like a man...) stereotypes....sigh!